When Life Hands You Lemons, Don't Panic!
My son owns a tee shirt that says,
"When life hands you lemons, keep them. Because, you know, free lemons!"
I like to keep life light. But sometimes crises happen and they can set our anxiety on overdrive. Once panic sets it, it takes all of our energy. Energy that we need to handle the situation!
On the other hand, if we used that energy to handle the situation. It would make our anxiety go down! Really! Read on for Five Things To Do When You are In A Crisis:
Five Things To Do When You Are In A Crisis
1. Get busy. Sometimes life is going along fine and then some kind of crisis happens. The boat is about to capisize. Much of the time, we get kicked into survival mode and get busy to rebalance the boat. We may have some fear but we keep anxiety at bay because we are busy. Taking action is one of most important things you can do to help decrease your anxiety. It helps you feel empowered. Anxiety feeds on helplessness and feeling out of control. Action puts you back in the driver seat.
2. Get Connected. Many people tend to isolate themselves when they are feeling bad making all kinds of excuses that they are not worthy of another person's time. (If this is you, read Afraid To Be Needy?). We are social creatures, humans usually come together to handle crisis because that is how we get through. You are worthy! Connect with someone.
3. Do research. Odds are that somebody else has been through it and out the other side. They can give you hope at the very least and great ideas at the best. There is more than enough information out there for everything you'd want to know.
4. Be in the moment. Don't jump ahead. Focus on what you need to do right now. Prioritize. Stop feeling guilty about anything from the past. This never helps anyone. Stop being worried about doing it all, just do it.
5. Trust yourself. We have greater capacity that we think we have when we are put to the test. Doubt is the only thing that can get in our way. You have skills, I know you do, how else would you have gotten this far? You can trust yourself.
What do you do to keep anxiety at bay when you are in a crisis?
You can also connect with Jodi Lobozzo Aman:
I blog here: Heal Now and Forever Be In Peace
and here: Anxiety-Schmanxiety Blog,
share here: Twitter@JodiAman, Google+
inspire here: Facebook: Heal Now and Forever Be in Peace,
Get my free E-book: What Is UP In Your DOWN? Being Grateful in 7 Easy Steps.
Lobozzo, J. (2013, July 31). When Life Hands You Lemons, Don't Panic!, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2024, March 1 from https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/anxiety-schmanxiety/2013/07/when-life-hands-you-lemons-dont-panic
Author: Jodi Lobozzo Aman, LCSW-R
People are connected but they are not connecting if you know what I mean.
Great ideas on how to curb life crisis
I think the author of this article has never been hit by a real crisis till he even forgot he actually existed.But nice tips for the fair or manageable crisis
Anxiety as unavoidable life experience recapitulates both: positive and negative effects on our mental health statement. However, destructive consequences on mental health are more disturbing ones. In consequences, it ought to deal in satisfactory way with this emotional disorder. Your five recommendations contributes to realize this aim in active and comprehensive manner, as well. But the current psychiatric treatment and management of anxiety disorder imply " conditio sine qua non", in order to overcome bad outcomes of this unkind emotional disturbance. In other words, untreated anxiety disorder indicates an open door for depression as serious and hard mental illnesses. Therefore, early and appropriate psychiatric treatment and management of anxiety will prevent the above mention complication, among others difficulties for ours global life performances.
The definition of "treatment" is, of course, a matter of opinion.
Thanks for stopping by!