Opiate Withdrawal Symptoms May Be Soothed with Vitamins
Alcohol and opiate withdrawal symptoms can be extremely difficult, but vitamins may help people with substance use disorders by possibly easing withdrawal symptoms. Treatment methods range from quitting cold turkey to hospitalization. Sometimes medications can be prescribed to ease withdrawal symptoms (Opioids Withdrawal: How Bad Is It? Symptoms, Treatment). However, one concern for people trying to get clean is becoming dependent on another substance. It is always important to check with your doctor when considering alternative treatment so they can review your medical history and specific situation. For the scope of this post, I will cover the use of vitamins B and C for alcohol and opiate withdrawal symptoms.
Which Vitamins May Ease Alcohol and Opiate Withdrawal Symptoms?
Vitamin B Complex
- Vitamin B1 assists in reducing fatigue, sustaining mental clarity and lessens disorientation during alcohol withdrawal.
- Vitamin B2 decreases the severity of headaches and hand tremors associated with alcohol withdrawal.
- Vitamin B3 metabolizes alcohol out of your body. B3 also normalizes the stress hormones of the adrenal glands.
- Vitamin B6 is substantial in the production of the chemical serotonin, which induces calm during anxiety or depressive states. Vitamin B6 also helps regulate melatonin levels to encourage sleep.
- Vitamin B9 is vital for cellular and brain health.
Dr. Tina M. St. John says,
A vitamin B complex can relieve stress and give balance to the nerves, which can assist with the agitation created by opioid withdrawal.
The University of Michigan Health System suggests supplementing vitamin C to rid the body of excess alcohol during the initial withdrawal. According to literature in the medical school library of the University of Mexico, Vitamin C might block the neuromodulatory response of opioid receptors to opioid drugs like heroin, morphine, oxycodone, etc. Furthermore, in vitro studies have also shown that high concentrations of Vitamin C may inhibit the endogenous opioid degrading metalloenzyme and increase endorphin levels.
Vitamin deficiencies are common in people with substance abuse disorder because of the stress and damage done to the body from drug and alcohol use. There is a lot of information on the Internet about using vitamins to help with alcohol and opiate withdrawal symptoms. The best source of vitamins is from food, but dietary supplements are sometimes useful in addition to other treatment options to ease withdrawal symptoms for opiate addicts and alcoholics
Kuykendall, M. (2018, January 30). Opiate Withdrawal Symptoms May Be Soothed with Vitamins, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2023, September 28 from https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/debunkingaddiction/2018/01/vitamins-help-reduce-withdrawal-symtoms