5 Points to Remember About Mental Illness in the Family
Especially in the beginning, when a family is dealing with a loved one's mental illness, it's easy to become embroiled in the emotion of it all. In this television interview, I discuss the 5 points to remember about mental illness in the family.
What Families Should Consider When Dealing with Mental Illness
- Mental Illness can happen even with the most excellent parenting. It's an illness. No shame.
- A correct diagnosis can take years, especially as symptoms develop inconsistently and overlap. Patience helps - and is difficult.
- An educated family is an asset to healthcare providers and to the person living with mental illness.
- If your provider does not listen to family or patient input, find another provider.
- A variety of treatment options helps the possibility of better outcomes. Keep researching, please! There is a long way to go - but still there is more hope now than there was in the past. Don't stop the fight to develop better treatments. Please.
Kaye, R. (2011, November 14). 5 Points to Remember About Mental Illness in the Family, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2024, February 26 from https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/mentalillnessinthefamily/2011/11/five-points-to-remember-about-mental-illness-in-the-family