Healthy Decision-Making, Life Choices, and Mental Health
HealthyPlace Mental Health Newsletter
Here's what's happening on the HealthyPlace site this week:
- Healthy Decision-Making, Life Choices, and Mental Health
- How To Make Healthy Decisions
- Most Popular HealthyPlace Articles Shared by Facebook Fans
- From the HealthyPlace Mental Health Blogs
- Stand Up for Mental Health
- Latest Mental Health New
Healthy decision-making can be difficult when you're living with any type of mental health challenge (Depression and Indecision). Mental illness impacts our thoughts, feelings, and behaviors; each one of these plays a role in decision-making. To make healthy decisions, we rely on our rational, organized thought processes, balanced emotions, and actions that support our decisions. However, mental illness can interfere and make facing a big life choice overwhelming (Making the Big Decisions When You Have Bipolar).
That said, mental health challenges don't render people unable to make decisions. These tips for healthy decision-making are strategies that many people have found to be useful:
- Break a big decision into small pieces, and examine them one by one. How do you feel about a particular option? What consequences, positive and negative, can you foresee? What actions are needed?
- Whatever life decision you're facing, reflect on it. Where do you want it to take you? What are you truly looking for?
- Consider yourself and your life. Whatever choice you're facing, does it fit well with other important aspects of your life such as who you want to be with, how you want to spend your time, and where you want to live?
For healthy decision-making, breathe deeply and look at the little pieces in the big picture.
Related Articles Dealing with Decision-Making and Mental Illness
- PTSD and Decision Making: How to Put Power in Your Process
- Unimportant Decisions and Bipolar Depression
- Decisions Made (Or Not Made), Anxiety-Style
Today's Question: Today’s Question: What healthy decision-making strategies do you use when you're facing a life choice? We invite you to participate by commenting and sharing your feelings, experiences and knowledge on the HealthyPlace Facebook page and on the HealthyPlace Google+ page.
Share our Stories
At the top and bottom of all our stories, you'll find social share buttons for Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Pinterest and other social sites. If you find a particular story, video, psychological test or other HealthyPlace feature helpful, there's a good chance others in need will too. Please share.
We also get many inquiries about our linking policy. If you have a website or blog, you can link to any page on the HealthyPlace website without asking us beforehand.
Here are the top 3 mental health articles HealthyPlace Facebook fans are recommending you read:
- How to Stop Being a Perfectionist
- Will I Be Depressed Forever?
- How Social Media Messes With Your Confidence
If you're not already, I hope you'll join us/like us on Facebook too. There are a lot of wonderful, supportive people there.
On all our blogs, your comments and observations are welcomed.
- Undiagnosed Trauma Can Lead To Substance Abuse (Mental Health Treatment Circle Blog)
- Tips for Traveling with Depression (Coping with Depression Blog)
- When Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) Slows You Down (Anxiety-Schmanxiety Blog)
- Find Bliss through Fun Fall Activities (Living A Blissful Life Blog)
- When Bipolar Ruins Your Vacation (Breaking Bipolar Blog)
- Is Sexual Abuse an Epidemic? (Recovering From Mental Illness Blog)
- PTSD Recovery: Try Using Inner Child Exercises (Trauma! A PTSD Blog)
- Stop Quitting the Things You Enjoy Just Because You’re Not Confident (Building Self-Esteem Blog)
- Recovering From Narcissistic Abuse Without Validation (Your Mental Health Blog)
- Mental Health Stigma Teaches That Mental Illnesses Are Rare (Surviving Mental Health Stigma Blog)
- Fad Dieting And Binge Eating Disorder (Binge Eating Recovery Blog)
- The Dangers of Anxiety-Related Sleep Deprivation (Treating Anxiety Blog)
- Mothering With An Invisible Mental Illness (Mental Illness in the Family Blog)
- Forming Healthy Relationships During Mental Illness Recovery (Relationships and Mental Illness Blog)
- How To Avoid Feeling Overwhelmed And Stop Triggering Your Addiction (Debunking Addiction Blog)
- Schizophrenia and Why My Psychotic Episode Still Matters (Creative Schizophrenia Blog)
On all our blogs, your comments and observations are welcomed.
Feel free to share your thoughts and comments at the bottom of any blog post. And visit the mental health blogs homepage for the latest posts.
Thousands Have Joined the Stand Up for Mental Health Campaign
But we still need you. Let others know there's no shame in having depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, trichotillomania, OCD, ADHD, schizophrenia or any other mental illness.
Join the Stand Up for Mental Health campaign. Put a button on your website or blog (buttons for family members, parents, mental health professionals and organizations too). We also have covers for Facebook, Twitter and Google+.
These stories and more are featured on our mental health news page:
- Premature Birth Appears To Weaken Brain Connections
- The Smell Of Death Can Trigger Fight Or Flight In Humans
- Stressed Dads Affect Offspring Brain Development Through Sperm
- High-Fat Diet May Cause Changes In The Brain That Lead To Anxiety And Depression
- Bariatric Surgery Can Increase Likelihood Of Self-Harm, Suicide
- Lack Of Face-To-Face Contact Almost Doubles Depression Risk For Older Adults
- CAMH Survey Shows Over Half Of Workers With Depression Do Not Recognize Need For Treatment
That's it for now. If you know of anyone who can benefit from this newsletter or the HealthyPlace.com site, I hope you'll pass this onto them. You can also share the newsletter on any social network (like facebook, stumbleupon, or digg) you belong to by clicking the links below. For updates throughout the week:
- circle HealthyPlace on Google+,
- follow HealthyPlace on Twitter
- follow HealthyPlace on Pinterest
- or become a fan of HealthyPlace on Facebook.
(2015, October 14). Healthy Decision-Making, Life Choices, and Mental Health , HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2022, October 1 from https://www.healthyplace.com/other-info/mental-health-newsletter/healthy-decision-making-life-choices-and-mental-health