What Prevents You From Getting Mental Health Treatment?
HealthyPlace Mental Health Newsletter
Here's what's happening on the HealthyPlace site this week:
- What Prevents You From Getting Mental Health Treatment?
- Help Spread Awareness of Mental Illness
- Most Popular HealthyPlace Articles Shared by Facebook Fans
- From the HealthyPlace Mental Health Blogs
- Stand Up for Mental Health
- Coaching Self-Advocacy To Children With Disabilities
- Latest Mental Health News
What Prevents You From Getting Mental Health Treatment?
We get lots of emails from people saying they can't get the mental health treatment they want and need. Most reasons center around a lack of finances or insurance, but there's also mental health stigma, denial, and a lack of available resources - especially if they live in a rural community.
Yes, I know that some people make up excuses for not getting treatment (read: Eliminate Excuses and Build Self-Esteem), but others legimately don't know where to get mental health help. Besides the traditional places, doctors and therapists, check with your county mental health agency or social services agency for local support groups. The articles below provide additional mental health treatment ideas. And, of course, you can comprehensive mental health treatment information on specific conditions in each topic center on the HealthyPlace.com website.
I want to add just one thing. Even if you can't afford therapy or psychiatric medications right now, there are things you can do to help yourself. Attend a support group, buy a self-help book and practice what you learn, get good sleep, eat healthy, get outside for 30 minutes every day. You'll be pleasantly surprised by how much better you feel.
Related Information on Mental Health Treatment
- Mental Health Information (on all aspects of treatment including how to pay and financial assistance for psychiatric medications)
- Depression Support: Why You Need It, Where to Find It
- Bipolar Help: Self-Help For Bipolar and How to Help a Bipolar Loved One
- Anxiety Self-Help: Ways to Help Anxiety
- ADD Help: Where to Get Help for ADHD and Adult ADHD Support
- Eating Disorder Help: Where to Get Help for Eating Disorders?
- Help for Drug Addiction and How to Help A Drug Addict
Today's Question: What is keeping you from getting the mental health help / treatment you want? We invite you to participate by commenting and sharing your feelings, experiences and knowledge on the HealthyPlace Facebook page.
Help Spread Awareness of Mental Illness
Get Our Mental Health Blog Widget
Over 340 sites and blogs are helping spread awareness of mental illness. How about putting our mental health blogs widget on your website, blog or social page? The latest HealthyPlace blog headlines appear as soon as the articles are posted on our site. Just click "Get Widget" at the bottom of the widget, grab the embed code and paste it into your page. You'll also see embed links for Wordpress, Blogger, Linkedin and other social sites there.
As a bonus, put the blogs widget on your site or blog, email us (info AT healthyplace.com) with a page link where it appears, and we'll give a shoutout to your site, blog, or social site on our Facebook and Twitter pages.
Share our Stories
At the top and bottom of all our stories, you'll find social share buttons for Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Pinterest and other social sites. If you find a particular story, video, psychological test or other HealthyPlace feature helpful, there's a good chance others in need will too. Please share.
We also get many inquiries about our linking policy. If you have a website or blog, you can link to any page on the HealthyPlace website without asking us beforehand.
Most Popular HealthyPlace Articles Shared by Facebook Fans
Here are the top 3 mental health articles HealthyPlace Facebook fans are recommending you read:
- Do the Emotional Effects of Abuse Ever Disappear?
- Adapting to Living with a Psychological Disorder
- The Biggest Question About Addiction
If you're not already, I hope you'll join us/like us on Facebook too. There are a lot of wonderful, supportive people there.
From the HealthyPlace Mental Health Blogs
On all our blogs, your comments and observations are welcomed.
- I Told My Boss About My Depression (Coping with Depression Blog)
- Five Ways To Challenge Yourself (Anxiety-Schmanxiety Blog)
- I Can’t Go Out, I’m Too Depressed; I Mean, I Have The Flu (Breaking Bipolar Blog)
- Back to School: The Bipolar Survival Guide (Bipolar Vida Blog)
- ‘Crazy People’ Never Know They’re Crazy! (Recovering From Mental Illness Blog)
- PTSD Research – Avoiding Misunderstanding (Trauma! A PTSD Blog)
- Create Confidence (Building Self-Esteem Blog)
- Carving Something Beautiful From Rock Bottom and Mental Health Stigma and the Misuse of Words (Surviving Mental Health Stigma Blog)
- Abuse Can Change A Victim’s True Nature (Verbal Abuse and Relationships Blog)
- Self-Harm and Asking “Why” (Speaking Out About Self-Injury Blog)
- Fight Like Hell: A Letter to Amanda Bynes’ Parents (Mental Illness in the Family Blog)
- The Benefits of Being Angry (Your Mental Health Blog)
- Goal-Setting With Your Special Needs Child: The Results (Life with Bob Blog)
- The Power of Grace and Forgiveness (More Than Borderline Blog)
- ED Recovery: A Letter to My Body (Surviving ED Blog)
- Brand Identity Key To Mental Illness Fundraising Success (Funny in the Head: A Mental Health Humor Blog)
- Adult ADHD and the “Benefits” of Smart Phones (Living with Adult ADHD Blog)
- The Politics of Psychology (Creative Schizophrenia Blog)
Feel free to share your thoughts and comments at the bottom of any blog post. And visit the mental health blogs homepage for the latest posts.
Stand Up for Mental Health
Thousands Have Joined the Stand Up for Mental Health Campaign
But we still need you. Let others know there's no shame in having depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, trichotillomania, OCD, ADHD, schizophrenia or any other mental illness.
Join the Stand Up for Mental Health campaign. Put a button on your website or blog (buttons for family members, parents, mental health professionals and organizations too). We also have covers for Facebook, Twitter and Google+.
Coaching Self-Advocacy To Children With Disabilities
A lot of kids don't inherently know how to stand up for themselves. That's especially true for children with mental illness; children who are subjected to teasing and mental health stigma just because they have ADHD, bipolar disorder or some other mental health condition.
As a parent, how can you help your child advocate for him or herself? The Parent Coach, Dr. Steven Richfield, shares some great parenting advice.
Latest Mental Health News
These stories and more are featured on our mental health news page:
- Afraid to Get Tested? Slow Down and Think About It
- Tackling the Roots of Rape
- When Philosophy Meets Psychiatry
- Facebook Friends. The Emotional Ups and Downs of Social Media.
- Mastering Self-Control
- 'Biological Signal' of Suicide Risk Found in Blood
- Junk Food in Pregnancy Linked to Childhood Mental Disorders
- Improving The Diagnostic Process in Mental Health Conditions Via Imaging
- Bipolar Subtype Upsets Treatment Guideline Congruence
- Improved Access to Youth Services Likely Following Mental Health Youth Report
- Medication Caution for Children at Bipolar Risk
- Gyrification Unfolds Psychosis Treatment Response
That's it for now. If you know of anyone who can benefit from this newsletter or the HealthyPlace.com site, I hope you'll pass this onto them. You can also share the newsletter on any social network (like facebook, stumbleupon, or digg) you belong to by clicking the links below. For updates throughout the week:
- circle HealthyPlace on Google+,
- follow HealthyPlace on Twitter
- follow HealthyPlace on Pinterest
- or become a fan of HealthyPlace on Facebook.
Staff, H. (2013, August 22). What Prevents You From Getting Mental Health Treatment?, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2023, March 29 from https://www.healthyplace.com/other-info/mental-health-newsletter/what-prevents-you-from-getting-mental-health-treatment