Guide to ADHD Coaching
ADD coaches, where to find them and are they qualified?
There are certification training programs that train coaches to work with ADDers specifically.
As far as qualifications are concerned, be careful. They are basically self-appointed 'certifiers. The profession is too new and unregulated. Furthermore, we all know professionals who have credentials all over their walls, who we would never recommend. So, either interview coaches or seek a recommendation.
The largest and most complete source of all coaches is The ICF (International Coaches Federation). They have a website http://www.coachfederation.com/ that you can screen to find ADD coaches. You simply stipulate the criteria you want and the coaches with those parameters are then contacted by ICF. The coaches then will respond to ICF and ICF will then forward them to you. This method assures your confidentiality.
Their web address is http://www.coachfederation.com/ go to the bottom of the home page and click on "Find a Coach" button.
Tip for selecting an ADHD coach:
10 Questions to Ask When Selecting a Coach
- What direct experience do you have regarding what I need to accomplish or resolve? Who else have you coached in a similar situation, and what happened with them?
- If I was a client, what is the type of suggestions or strategies you would offer regarding what I've explained thus far about my situation?
- What is your general philosophy or approach when it comes to coaching a client to become more successful?
- What is your personal style? Aggressive or passive? Patient or driven? Loving or challenging?
- What is your biggest strength, and why? How will it help me?
- What do you not do well, or not want to do with me as a client? Why?
- What are you hearing in how I've presented my situation or in how I am communicating with you? Any observations? Any changes I would need to make immediately?
- Would you want to work with me? Why? How do you know?
- What question should I have asked you that I did not?
- Is there anything else you'd like me to know?
I hope this is helpful.
About the author: Coach Harv (Harvey Kravetz) is a certified ADHD coach in the UK.
Staff, H. (2008, December 2). Guide to ADHD Coaching, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2023, April 2 from https://www.healthyplace.com/adhd/articles/guide-to-adhd-coaching