Steps to Take for the Best Possible Recovery From Schizoaffective Disorder
What can you do to make the best possible recovery from schizoaffective disorder? Read these tips from doctors and patients.
- Accept that you have a prolonged illness.
- Identify your strengths and limitations.
- Make clear, realistic goals.
- After a relapse, go slowly and gradually back to your responsibilities.
- Plan a regular, consistent, predictable daily routine.
- Make your home as quiet, calm and relaxed as you can.
- Identify and reduce stress.
- Make only one change in your life at a time.
- Work toward an active and trusting relationship with the staff involved in your care.
- Take your medicines regularly, as prescribed. Identify early signs of relapse.
- Make your own early warning list.
- Get involved with a group of people you feel comfortable with.
- Avoid street drugs. Whether or not you drink alcohol is a very personal decision you should make with your prescriber.
- Eat a well-balanced diet.
- Get enough rest.
- Get regular exercise.
- If you're not sure whether your feelings or fears are based in reality, ask someone you trust or compare your behavior with others.
- Accept that there may be setbacks from time-to-time.
next: Caring for the Schizoaffective Patient
~ back to articles on the schizophrenia library
~ all articles on schizophrenia
~ all articles on schizoaffective disorder
~ thought disorders homepage
Gluck, S. (2007, March 2). Steps to Take for the Best Possible Recovery From Schizoaffective Disorder, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2023, May 31 from https://www.healthyplace.com/thought-disorders/schizophrenia-articles/steps-to-take-for-the-best-possible-recovery-from-schizoaffective-disorder