Getting Help for Mental Illness
HealthyPlace Mental Health Newsletter
Here's what's happening on the HealthyPlace site this week:
- Where to Get Mental Health Help and Support
- Leaving an Abusive Relationship on HealthyPlace Radio
- Helping Children With Asperger Syndrome Access And Apply Emotions
- Most Popular HealthyPlace Articles Shared by Facebook Fans
- Mental Health Experiences
- From the HealthyPlace Mental Health Blogs
Where to Get Mental Health Help and Support
I don't know if we're heading into another recession or not. One thing I know, if you have a mental health condition, you don't want to wait to find out. Now is the time to prepare.
The first thing people want to know about is: "if I lose my job and health insurance, where can I get free or low-cost prescriptions for my psychiatric medications? There are various programs listed in that article. Also, most pharma companies offer prescription assistance programs which can be accessed through their website. There's an income qualification and expect to wait at least a month before you hear back on whether you've been accepted or not. In addition, going the generic route can save you a lot of money.
If you are needing therapy, but can't afford the $50-200/hr. fees that most therapists charge, check with a university near you that has a psychology or psychiatry program (medical school). These programs offer very low fees ($5-25) so their students have people to work with. Also check with your county mental health agency and local United Way to see what's available.
Support groups can also be very helpful. In most medium to large cities throughout the U.S., you can find a Depression Bipolar Support Alliance, Mental Health America, or NAMI support group. They are free of charge, although they're happy to accept a donation if you can afford it. Besides offering support, the people who run these local groups are very well informed about mental health services in the community.
- Finding and Paying for Mental Health Treatment (index of stories)
- ADHD Support for Parents of ADD, ADHD Children. Adult ADHD Support.
- Where to Get Anxiety Help
- Bipolar Help and Self-Help
- Depression Support: Why You Need It. Where to Find It
- Eating Disorder Help: Where to Find Help for Eating Disorders
- Schizophrenia Support: Schizophrenia Forums, Support Groups
Share our Stories
At the top and bottom of all our stories, you'll find social share buttons for Facebook, Google+, Twitter and other social sites. If you find a particular story, video, psychological test or other HealthyPlace feature helpful, there's a good chance others in need will too. Please share.
We also get many inquiries about our linking policy. If you have a website or blog, you can link to any page on the HealthyPlace website without asking us beforehand.
Most Popular HealthyPlace Articles Shared by Facebook Fans
Here are the top 3 mental health articles HealthyPlace Facebook fans are recommending you read:
- Supporting Someone Who Has Been Raped or Sexually Assaulted
- Dealing With Anxiety Attacks: Getting Anxiety Attack Relief
- Stop Minimizing Mental Illness: Worst Things to Say
If you're not already, I hope you'll join us/like us on Facebook too. There are a lot of wonderful, supportive people there.
continue story below
Mental Health Experiences
Share your thoughts/experiences with any mental health subject, or respond to other people's audio posts, by calling our toll-free number (1-888-883-8045).
You can listen to what other people are saying by clicking on the gray title bars inside the widgets located on the "Sharing Your Mental Health Experiences" homepage, the HealthyPlace homepage, and the HealthyPlace Support Network homepage.
If you have any questions, write us at: info AT healthyplace.com
From the HealthyPlace Mental Health Blogs
Your comments and observations are welcomed.
- How to Deal With and Overcome Low Self-Esteem (Building Self-Esteem Blog)
- Love Heals, Kindness Heals (Anxiety-Schmanxiety Blog)
- My Bipolar Treatment is Not Your Bipolar Treatment – And That’s OK (Breaking Bipolar Blog)
- Have You Ever Lied About Having a Mental Illness? (Surviving Mental Health Stigma Blog)
- Mental Health Recovery: Avoiding Triggers! (Recovering From Mental Illness Blog)
- Convincing Family Member of Mental Illness Diagnosis Unlikely (Mental Illness in the Family Blog)
- The “Insanity” of Anders Behring Breivik (Creative Schizophrenia Blog)
- Unhappiness Versus Depression: Abuse Causes Both (Verbal Abuse and Relationships Blog)
- Why I Choose To Write About My Eating Disorder Under My Own Name (Surviving ED Blog)
- 3 Books Everyone with BPD Should Read (More Than Borderline Blog)
- Musicians Pen and Perform Mental Illness Melodies At “Odd Aid” (Funny in the Head: A Mental Health Humor Blog)
- Obsession and Compulsion: The Double-Edged Sword (Debunking Addiction Blog)
- ADHD and the Inability to Gauge Time (Living with Adult ADHD Blog)
- Depression Hurts: Self-Injury and Depression (Coping with Depression Blog)
Feel free to share your thoughts and comments at the bottom of any blog post. And visit the mental health blogs homepage for the latest posts.
Leaving an Abusive Relationship on HealthyPlace Radio
Kellie Holly knows a thing or two about abuse. Not only was she a victim of abuse during most of her 18 year marriage, but she also learned a lot from the experiences she went through. You may recognize her as the author of the HealthyPlace blog, "Verbal Abuse in Relationships."
On this edition of the HealthyPlace Mental Health Radio Show, Kellie discusses how and why she fell victim to verbal and physical abuse and the difference in her life now that she's out of her marriage.
Helping Children With Asperger Syndrome Access And Apply Emotions
One parent writes the Parent Coach, Dr. Steven Richfield, asking for ideas on how to help her son with Aspergers improve communicating with others. Here's his response.
That's it for now. If you know of anyone who can benefit from this newsletter or the HealthyPlace.com site, I hope you'll pass this onto them. You can also share the newsletter on any social network (like facebook, stumbleupon, or digg) you belong to by clicking the links below. For updates throughout the week:
- circle HealthyPlace on Google+,
- follow HealthyPlace on Twitter
- or become a fan of HealthyPlace on Facebook.
Staff, H. (2012, June 3). Getting Help for Mental Illness, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2023, March 20 from https://www.healthyplace.com/other-info/mental-health-newsletter/getting-help-for-mental-illness