The Emotional Pain of Food Addiction
Here's what's happening on the HealthyPlace site this week:
- Addicted to Food
- Why is Food Addictive
- "The Emotional Pain of Food Addiction" On HealthyPlace TV
- Immaturity and Your Child
- Self-Help For Your Mental Health
I came across an interesting article on food addiction by psychiatrist and author of "Living the Truth," Dr. Keith Ablow. In it, Dr. Ablow says increasing numbers of men and women are turning up in his office unable to lose weight despite diet and exercise.
"I'm talking to more and more patients who are deeply ambivalent about giving up food. Eating has become one of their primary sources of pleasure; for all intents and purposes, they're as addicted to food as other people are to smoking or alcohol."
Food, like tobacco and alcohol, also contains substances that are mind-altering, says Ablow. Fats can be mood stabilizers; carbs can increase energy and many nutrients are linked to levels of serotonin and other brain chemical messengers that basically determine whether we feel content and happy -- or anxious and depressed.
- What is Food Addiction?
- Signs and Symptoms of Food Addiction
- Characteristics of Binge Eating Disorder
- What Causes Food Cravings (Food Addiction)?
- Food Addiction Test
- Videos on Food Addiction, Binge Eating
Caryl Ehrlich was a compulsive overeater. She used food to change her moods. She ate because of good news, bad news, no news, or during the news. How it started and how the food addiction ended is the subject of this Tuesday's HealthyPlace Mental Health TV Show.
Join us Tuesday night, August 4. The show starts at 5:30p PT, 7:30 CT, 8:30 ET and airs live on our website.
- TV Show Blog with this week's show info
In the second half of the show, you get to ask HealthyPlace.com Medical Director, Dr. Harry Croft, your personal mental health questions.
Coming in August on the HealthyPlace TV Show
- The Psychological Process of Changing Your Gender
- The Stress of Being an Alzheimer's Caregiver
- Being in a Relationship with Someone Who Has Dissociative Identity Disorder
If you would like to be a guest on the show or share you personal story in writing or via video, please write us at: producer AT healthyplace.com
Click here for a list of previous HealthyPlace Mental Health TV Shows.
More Information on Food Addiction
- Understanding Compulsive Eating
- How to Handle Food Cravings
- How Do You Treat Food Addiction?
- Triumphant Journey: A Cyberguide To Stop Overeating and Recover from Eating Disorders
We also have many transcripts from previous chat conferences on food addiction, compulsive overeating and binge eating with excellent information.
We had a parenting problem at my house several years ago. Like most kids, my 13-year old son wanted to be treated like a 16-year old. Unfortunately, many times he acted like a 10-year old. It was a very frustrating time during this period in our "parenting lives."
Maybe you're facing the same issue? If so, this article, Coaching The Emotionally Immature Middle Schooler, by the Parenting Coach, Dr. Steven Richfield, may shed some light on the problem.
Sure, therapy and psychiatric medications, can help improve a mental health condition. But there are also things you can do to help yourself get better and stay better.
- Self-Care When Parenting an ADHD Child
- Managing Your Anxiety
- Bipolar Recovery: Reconstructing A Balanced Lifestyle
- Self-Help Stuff That Works
Staff, H. (2009, August 3). The Emotional Pain of Food Addiction, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2023, September 21 from https://www.healthyplace.com/other-info/mental-health-newsletter/the-emotional-pain-of-food-addiction