You're Depressed. Now What?
HealthyPlace Mental Health Newsletter
Here's what's happening on the HealthyPlace site this week:
- You're Depressed. Now What?
- Share Your Mental Health Experiences
- From HealthyPlace Mental Health Blogs
- How to Teach Your Child to Have Real Relationships in a Techno World
- Your Thoughts: From the HealthyPlace Forums and Chat
- "Men, Unemployment and Depression" on HealthyPlace TV
- "Help for Postpartum Depression and Anxiety" on HealthyPlace Radio
"You're Depressed. Now What?"
It had been awhile since I went over to the articles that Mary Ellen Copeland, PhD has on our website. Mary Ellen has lived through severe mania and horrific depressions over her life. What I admire about her is not only her will to survive, but her deep desire to share with others what she has learned over the years from her research and in dealing with her own mental health challenges.
Because of allergies she has to many psychiatric medications, Mary Ellen uses self-help tools, a counselor, a nutritionist and naturopath, to help maintain her mood stability. During a chat conference on the HealthyPlace website several years ago, I remember her saying it required dedication to using those tools to maintain long-term wellness.
Mary Ellen is well known for her books The Wellness Recovery Action Plan and The Depression Workbook: A Guide to Living with Depression and Manic Depression. They might prove helpful to you. These days, her efforts are focused on group education; teaching people with serious depression and bipolar disorder the tools she has used to not only survive, but "live" a life despite having bipolar disorder and depression.
Mary Ellen Copeland Articles You May Find Valuable
- You May Be Depressed. What Do You Do Now?
- Suicide: Not A Good Idea
- Getting Well
- Guide to Developing a WRAP- Wellness Recovery Action Plan
- Developing a Wellness Toolbox
- All Mary Ellen Copeland Articles
Mental Health Experiences
Share your thoughts/experiences on being able to achieve mood stability or any mental health subject, or respond to other people's audio posts, by calling our toll-free number (1-888-883-8045).
continue story below
You can listen to what other people are saying by clicking on the gray title bars inside the widgets located on the "Sharing Your Mental Health Experiences" homepage, the HealthyPlace homepage, and the HealthyPlace Support Network homepage.
If you have any questions, write us at: info AT healthyplace.com
From HealthyPlace Mental Health Blogs
Your comments and observations are welcomed.
- WHY?! is the Wrong Question (Verbal Abuse and Relationships Blog)
- Biological Evidence for Depression - Mental Illness Exists (Breaking Bipolar Blog)
- Mental Health Isn't a Trophy. Wellness Is Not a Prize (Treating Anxiety Blog)
- Irritability Isn't Just for Kids (Life with Bob: A Parenting Blog)
- Personal Boundaries and the Power of Suggestion (Dissociative Living Blog)
- Should You Always Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide? (More Than Borderline Blog)
- Productivity Habits for the Bipolar or Depressed Individual (Part 2) (Work and Bipolar/Depression Blog)
- Surviving ED — Taking Care of Myself As Part Of Recovery (Surviving ED Blog)
- To IEP or Not to IEP? That Is the Question
- Complex PTSD and Dissociative Identity Disorder
- Why are Mental Health Issues Routinely Misdiagnosed?
- Paralyzing Fear of Bipolar Disorder
- Top 5 Lies That Bound Me to "Love"
Feel free to share your thoughts and comments at the bottom of any blog post. And visit the mental health blogs homepage for the latest posts.
How to Teach Your Child to Have Real Relationships in a Techno World
Is technology your child's best friend. One mom writes to Dr. Steven Richfield, the Parenting Coach, seeking advice on how to help children escape from the superficiality of their current technology lives. Here's his sound advice.
Your Thoughts: From the HealthyPlace Forums and Chat
On our Personality Disorders forum, grinch1963 says she's concerned because of her 20-year old son's anger. He recently lashed out at her for "no real reason" and called her some really nasty names - then pushed her into the sofa. "I'm concerned he has a serious problem." Sign into the forums and share your thoughts and comments.
Join us on the HealthyPlace Mental Health Forums and Chat
You must be a registered HealthyPlace member. If you aren't already, it's free and takes less than 30 seconds. Just click the "register button" at the top of the page.
At the bottom of the forums page, you'll notice a chat bar (similar to facebook). You can chat with any registered member on the forums site.
We hope you'll be a frequent participant and share our support link with others who may benefit.
"Men, Unemployment and Depression" on HealthyPlace TV
In this protracted economic downturn, many men have lost their jobs and haven't found work. As time moves on, depression sinks in. Dr. Jed Diamond, male depression expert, discusses this phenomenon, the impact it's having on families, and how to deal with it. That's on this week's HealthyPlace Mental Health TV Show. (TV Show blog)
Still to Come in April on the HealthyPlace Mental Health TV Show
- The Worst Anxiety in Indiana
- By Helping Others, You Can Help Yourself
If you would like to be a guest on the show or share your personal story in writing or via video, please write us at: producer AT healthyplace.com
For all previous HealthyPlace Mental Health TV archived shows.
"Help for Postpartum Depression and Anxiety" on HealthyPlace Radio
After a harrowing experience with postpartum OCD, Katherine Stone started the Postpartum Progress blog to bring awareness to postpartum depression and anxiety. On this week's HealthyPlace Mental Health Radio Show, Ms. Stone says that many women, even doctors, are still either not very aware of postpartum psychiatric disorders or miss the symptoms altogether. Listen.
If you know of anyone who can benefit from this newsletter or the HealthyPlace.com site, I hope you'll pass this onto them. You can also share the newsletter on any social network (like facebook, stumbleupon, or digg) you belong to by clicking the links below. For updates throughout the week,
Staff, H. (2011, April 11). You're Depressed. Now What?, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2023, June 10 from https://www.healthyplace.com/other-info/mental-health-newsletter/youre-depressed-now-what